Here is an example. I started a pair of socks & then decided to frog them. The yarn I frogged is on the tube you see next to the ball.

How To Keep Your Frogged Yarn from Tangling

It’s happened to most knitters & crocheters: you start on a pattern and part way through you realize you did something wrong or you don’t like the pattern. So you have to frog your work. But when you do so, you end up with a big tangled mess that is a pain to work with until you get back to the ball of yarn you were working with. Well, here’s how you can keep that yarn from tangling up while you rework it.

As you frog your work, wrap the yarn around a smooth tube. I used the my Sock Knitting Needle Holders from KnitPicks.com for this example, but a used toilet paper tube or a travel toothbrush holder would work as well. You just want something tubular in shape and smooth in texture. Start wrapping at one end of the tube and just keep wrapping moving gradually toward the other end. Its okay if your yarn overlaps itself, but for best results, you don’t want it to go back and forth on the tube much.

Now start working again from the tube. One end of the tube will probably raise off the surface, which is ideal. Your yarn will come off smoothly and without knots and, if more comes off the ball on accident after you start, you can just wind it around the other end (being careful not to cover any of the yarn already on the tube). When all the yarn on the tube is used, start working from the ball as normal.

Happy crafting!

20 comments on “How To Keep Your Frogged Yarn from Tangling

1. Hi! I’m the editor of a free crochet pattern site called AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns.com and I just love this crochet tip! I’d love to feature it on my site with a link to you – I know my readers would just love it.

Let me know if this would be okay and if you have any questions!

2. Margo says:

What does the term “frogged” stand for? I have never heard this before.

3. Terry says:

I like this idea! But I would rather use a piece of clear vinyl plumbing tubing bought at a hard ware store for less than a dollar a yard. I paid 37 cents per foot of 3/4 inch wide clear hollow tubing. (I use this tubing to support the neck in cloth dolls that I make). You can use sandpaper or largenailfile to smooth off the cute dge, if you wish, but leave a small slit in the tube ends to tuck the yarn end in to keep it in place, just like on a spool of thread.

4. Terry Hopper says:

If you didn’t plan ahead and have an empty paper towel roll, that works great too. A toilet roll is good for small frogs. Cut a slit to hold the end of the yarn. I keep a roll tucked away so it’s handy.

5. Char55 says:

Why not just wind it back around the original ball instead of winding it around a tube NEXT to the ball? Seems like an unnecessary step to me.

• StasiaCrafts says:

If I’m not unraveling very much that’s what I do. But if I have to unravel a lot, I don’t think it would work very well. Have you tried it?

• Char55 says:

Whether you’re winding the yarn around a tube or winding it back around the original ball of yarn, you’re still winding…and it’s going to take the same amount of time either way. I’ve had times when I’ve had to rip out several rows…particularly when working from a graph and with several colors; if I mis- counted the number of stitches for a particular color…and have always just wrapped it back around the original ball (or skein). I think that any additional pieces (tubes or towel rolls) would just get in the way especially when it comes time to put the work away for the day. But I also understand that what works for me might not work for you…happy crocheting!

• StasiaCrafts says:

The problem comes in when you cover up the yarn you need to work with next with yarn you worked first. So, if you unravel a whole lot of yarn, then it doesn’t work when you go to work again. Not sure if I’m explaining it very well, does that make sense?

• Char55 says:

If you have a mistake in the yarn you are currently working, you unravel it (take it apart) by winding it back on to the ball you’re working from…after all, the last stitch you did was closest to the ball, right? If you have to unravel several colors, you wind each color back on its original ball as you get to it. No it won’t work if you just unravel it into a heap before doing anything…you have to wind it around something to keep it out of the way, but why not just wrap it around the original ball from which it came.

Say for instance I’m working with yellow and black in a pattern where yellow is my base color black is the background of a banner and yellow is used for lettering within the black banner. I find a mistake in the yellow lettering within the black banner two rows down. If I’m currently working with the yellow base, I unravel and rewind onto the ball until I get to the black in that row. Then I unravel and rewind the black until I get to the yellow again; then I rewind the yellow until I get to the black again, etc until I have gotten to the letter where I made the mistake. If you have carried yarn over or intertwined along the way you will have to untwist the two balls (yellow and black) somewhere along the way. Yes it is time consuming, but no more so than winding it around a tube. And yes, I have actually had to do what I described above. The project was an afghan for a queen-sized bed…so there was a LOT of unraveling to do!

• StasiaCrafts says:

That makes sense.

• Terry says:

I offered the tip on winding frogged yarn, because a friend gave me an unfinished sweater to unwind so I could use the yarn as part of an afghan I was making. She lost interest after making the two fronts and back, then decided she did not have the patience to make the sleeves. The yarn was a wonderful shade of purple, and I wound it on tubes, to store for parts of future variations of floral granny afghans. Of course, if you are just unraveling a few rows of knitting or crochet, it seems the best way to do that is to re-wrap the yarn in the ball you are working from. Mysuggestion was meant for someone with alot of un-raveling to do to try to use the yarn after it is relaxed for a period of time. Never realized I’d begetting so much criticism fora helpful suggestion. I still have some of that purle, ready tostart my next afghan.
        Terry

6. Vicki Townsend says:

you could also use a paper towel tube then put in on a stand up paper towel holder to keep it rolling free while you re-use it.

7. Angelia Wood says:

I simply unravel it in layers, going back and forth laying it loosely on the arm of my couch. And most of the time it is easier to crochet from the loose yarn than from the ball. That is if I’m working on the project right then and there. It is helpful to know the above for if I have to get up and leave it for a few days. Thanks